Friday, September 24, 2010

Less is more.

Today my father mentioned something that struck a thought in my mind. He said that if you are forgetful, then don't try to multi-task too much. That got me thinking. Why do people multi-task? Is it really a skill? Or because there is not enough time? Or that we feel we can do more this way? Well yes, I listen to music while I study. But that is hardly multi-tasking. The kind of multi-tasking I mean here is where we are doing a few things that all need almost full attention while doing them. This way, your attention is divided among them. Good or bad?

We should always focus on the task at hand, people say. But really, is that what we are doing? We try to do so many things that we lose focus and concentration. And at the end, the results are not as we hoped for. Well, what do you expect? If we do not focus then how do we expect to get amazing results? This is where, time management comes in. If we can divide our time efficiently, then I believe that we can do more in less time. When you concentrate, you just might finish faster, with better results. Doesn't matter what it is that you are doing. What matters is how you do it.

So, have you been feeling unsatisfied with anything that you have done? Why not give it your full attention and dedication for say...10 minutes? I know, as humans we are easily distracted. But that's because we lose ourselves to our thoughts too much. We think about so many things at the same time while doing other things.

I am not saying that it is wrong to multi-task. In fact, I do think that it is a skill. But the skill must still be used at the appropriate time and situation. Well, paying attention in class is half the battle won.

Less is more, in this case. =]

No comments: